Samosas are a popular Indian snack that is typically made with a wheat-based dough. However, for those following a gluten-free diet, these tasty treats can easily be made gluten-free. In this article, we will provide a step-by-step guide to making delicious gluten-free samosas, along with tips and substitutions to ensure they come out perfect every time.
Before we dive into the cooking process, let’s ensure we have all the ingredients at our disposal. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 cups of gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Water, for kneading
- 2 cups of boiled and mashed potatoes
- 1 cup of boiled green peas
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon of ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 cup of chopped onions
- 1/2 cup of chopped bell peppers
- 1/2 cup of chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup of boiled and chopped spinach
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Oil, for deep frying
- Making the Gluten-Free Dough
- In a mixing bowl, combine the gluten-free all-purpose flour and salt.
- Add the vegetable oil and mix it well.
- Gradually add water and knead the mixture into a smooth, pliable dough.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Preparing the Samosa Filling
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Stir in the ginger-garlic paste and sauté until fragrant.
- Add chopped onions and cook until they turn golden brown.
- Add the chopped vegetables – bell peppers, carrots, and spinach. Sauté for a few minutes until they soften.
- Mix in the boiled and mashed potatoes, green peas, and all the spices – garam masala, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, and salt. Stir well.
- Cook for a few more minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
- Lastly, add freshly chopped coriander leaves and remove the filling from heat.
- Divide the Dough
- After the dough has rested, divide it into small equal-sized balls.
- Roll Out the Samosa Wrappers
- Take one dough ball and roll it out into a thin oval or circular shape.
- Cut and Fold
- Cut the rolled-out dough in half, creating two semi-circles.
- Take one semi-circle, fold it into a cone shape, and seal the edge using water.
- Fill the Samosas
- Stuff each cone with the prepared filling.
- Seal the Samosas
- Apply some water along the open edge and seal the samosa, ensuring it’s tightly closed.
- Shape the Samosas
- Gently press and shape the samosa into a classic triangular form.
- Heat the Oil
- Heat a pan with enough oil for deep frying over medium heat.
- Fry to Perfection
- Once the oil is hot, carefully slide the samosas into it.
- Fry until they turn golden brown and crisp.
- Drain Excess Oil
- Remove the samosas from the oil and place them on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
Now you have a batch of crispy, golden gluten-free samosas ready to be devoured.
Gluten-free samosas taste best when served hot. They pair wonderfully with tamarind chutney or mint-coriander chutney. Enjoy the explosion of flavors and textures with every bite.
A Taste of India, Gluten-Free Style
Indulge in the sumptuous flavors of India with our gluten-free samosa recipe. Whether you’re catering to dietary restrictions or just looking for a delicious twist on a classic snack, these samosas will exceed your expectations. Make a batch for your next gathering or enjoy them as a savory snack – the choice is yours. Happy cooking!
With this detailed gluten-free samosa recipe in hand, you’re well-equipped to create a batch of samosas that rival the best of them. Delight in the crispy exterior and the flavorful filling, all without the worry of gluten. Enjoy the culinary journey, and share these delectable samosas with family and friends.
|Is Brunswick Stew Gluten Free?|