Gluten-free popsicles provide a refreshing, nostalgic treat that those with celiac disease or gluten intolerance can enjoy. In this article, we will explore which popular popsicle brands and flavors are gluten-free. We’ll also provide tips on identifying gluten-free popsicles and review alternative popsicle options for those avoiding gluten.
Overview of Gluten in Popsicles
Gluten is a protein found in grains like wheat, barley, and rye. For those with celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity, consuming gluten triggers an autoimmune reaction that damages the small intestine. Even small amounts of gluten can cause issues.
Many popsicles are naturally gluten-free, containing ingredients like fruit, sugar, and water. However, some popsicles may have sources of gluten like:
- Wheat flour
- Barley malt
- Cookies/graham cracker pieces
- Stabilizing agents
Always check the ingredients list for possible sources of gluten before indulging in a popsicle.
Popular Gluten-Free Popsicle Brands
Several major popsicle brands offer gluten-free options:
Outshine Fruit Bars
Outshine fruit bars contain real fruit and fruit juices. All Outshine popsicles are gluten-free, except for the Cookies and Dream Pops which contain cookies.
Jolly Rancher Popsicles
These popsicles contain no wheat-derived ingredients. However, they are produced on equipment shared with wheat-based products.
Otter Pops are naturally gluten-free and do not contain any risky ingredients.
Ice Pops fruit and cream popsicles are all gluten-free.
Whole Fruit Bars
Whole Fruit Bars contain fruit purees and juices. The vast majority are gluten-free, but some may contain cookie pieces.
Nice! Fruit Bars
Nice! fruit bars don’t contain any gluten sources. However, they are produced in facilities that handle wheat ingredients.
Identifying Gluten-Free Popsicles
When selecting a popsicle, look for these cues that it is likely gluten-free:
- Made with fruit juice or purees
- Free of wheat, barley, rye in ingredients
- No stabilizing agents like maltodextrin
- Produced in a facility free of gluten
Consult the ingredients list and labels like “gluten-free” to confirm the popsicle is suitable for a gluten-free diet. When in doubt, contact the manufacturer.
Homemade Gluten-Free Popsicle Recipes
Making homemade popsicles is an easy way to control the ingredients. Here are some gluten-free recipes to try:
- Fruit pops – Blend your favorite fruits like strawberries, mangos, or pineapple. Add a splash of fruit juice if needed.
- Yogurt pops – Mix plain yogurt with honey, fruit, and vanilla extract.
- Juice pops – Pour 100% fruit juice into popsicle molds. Try combinations like orange and strawberry.
- Nut milk pops – Blend non-dairy milks like almond milk with cocoa powder and your desired sweeteners.
Tips for Picking Gluten-Free Popsicles
When choosing gluten-free popsicles, keep these tips in mind:
- Stick to popsicles made with whole fruits and 100% fruit juices whenever possible.
- Avoid pops with cookie pieces or variegates, which may contain gluten.
- Examine labels closely and contact manufacturers if gluten-free status is unclear.
- Opt for naturally gluten-free brands like Outshine, Jolly Rancher, and Otter Pops.
- Make homemade popsicles to control ingredients.
With an awareness of gluten-free brands and recipes, you can keep cool and beat the heat with gluten-free popsicles. Double check labels and ingredients for assurances. With an array of fruit and creamy options, there’s a gluten-free popsicle for everyone to enjoy.